In our recent rebrand at Third and Grove, we took on a Drupal headless build with a Gatsby front end. With any project where you are pushing the limits of what technologies are capable of, there were some growing pains.
These growing pains resulted from a few other places too (developers less familiar with React and Gatsby, using new and actively changing tools). We ran into some issues that we thought were really strange with bundle sizes, which turned out to be due to the way we were querying images. We also ran into load time issues with some SVGs that were being handled with a library called svgr. We also had a few fonts to load. Well, 18 (yeah that’s right). As a last resort implementing our own lazy loading helped bring us in a perfect lighthouse score!