It’s been a long few months for many of us and we’re all ready for some good news!! Luckily, as a part of the Drupal open source community, we have some. Our group continues to be full of strong, resilient, and uplifting individuals who truly understand that we’re all in this together.
You Have Resources
We cannot recommend strongly enough to please, stay connected and in-touch with your local community. Now more than ever, this can help maintain momentum and provide the companionship that many of us miss during this time of social and physical distancing. Many local and regional meetups provide time at the beginning of their events for networking, including dedicated time for those looking for work and those who are hiring. We encourage virtual event organizers to continue to provide (or even expand) this aspect of online events.
Beyond the power of word-of-mouth, there are other online resources available to you in these unusual times. There are Drupal Camps that have year-round job boards posted on their websites. Drupal.org has a whole section of their website dedicated to those looking for work. The organizations that are posting here are invested in Drupal, just as you are. This common spark could start you on a new path.
What You Can Do for Yourself
In spite of the global state, there are many things you can do – you are empowered! We suggest you start with the following:
- Add your profile on Drupal.org
- If you already have one, give your Drupal profile an overhaul and be sure it’s up to date.
- Update your bio: Ask yourself if that is really how you see yourself
- Past companies: Don’t forget to show your growth
- Bio Picture: Just make sure that if you look like it’s your prom picture, that you intended it that way.
- Ask a fellow community member to review and provide suggestions for improving it. Many of us have difficulty in promoting ourselves, so ask for help to ensure that potential clients/employers see you for all that you are!
- Update your resume
- How to prepare for an interview
- Don’t get shy. We repeat: Don’t Get Shy! Even when feeling the “aloneness” of it all, get out there virtually. Attend local meetups and camps to network and grow the community
- Spread your wings and attend meetups that have pivoted to virtual formats.
- Attend contribution days and give back to the community. These offer great ways to refine your skills and grow your network
- Keep learning. In the face of everything, stay curious! It’s probably how you started down this road, to begin with
How Employers Can Help
Great leaders know that communication is the key to success. Now more than ever, your leadership skills and community contributions are needed to help pull us through this global crisis. Please,
- Be transparent with employees and contractors. We are all in this together.
- Sponsor DrupalCamps at the job board level to get connected.
- List any open positions on Drupal.org.
- And remember the gift of presence; network at local and regional meetups and mentor those you can.
We Never Stop Growing
Even in challenging times, we as individuals and as groups cannot stop growing. Take time, get talking, and get excited. There are many more roads to be traveled, together.
- Drupal job board
- Preparing for an Interview from Indeed.com
- Glassdoor Career Guide
- Career Development Guide from Robert Half
We welcome additional resources in the comment section, thanks!